Feature Request for SoundEasy V27

Found a bug? Have a feature request? This is the place to talk about it.
Bohdan

Re: Feature Request for SoundEasy V27

Post by Bohdan »

Current buffer can accommodate 5 curves. Your comments clearly suggest increasing the buffer size to accommodate much more curves.
Particularly for Multiplot. If you run beyond the 5 curve, go one step back and then press "Clear" button to restart colour cycling.
This will keep your last reference in the buffer. I am not suggesting, that the process implemented in SE is perfect. I am just not convinced, that the other implementations are any better.

As I can see, most comments above relate to "optimizing-by-hand" process. If you must tweak so extensively, it simply means, that you have not run the optimizer. You are skipping a mathematical process, that is much faster and far more accurate than any tweaking by hand.
dcibel

Post by dcibel »

I am not suggesting to increase the history buffer. I am suggesting that the legend contains an accurate history once more than 5 changes are made. First curve is red, and so is the 6th, but the 6th red curve should display on the bottom of the legend, the other 4 colours on the legend move up to show the correct historical order of changes made. This would be a helpful addition to the history curves, and a welcome option would be to have the ability to disable the history curves altogether, with multiplot fully redrawn on each component change. Of course, we have always had the ability to click 2 additional buttons on every component change to make this happen.
meloV8

Post by meloV8 »

Hi Bohdan
Bohdan wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:23 pm Hi Lukasz,

Forgot one thing:

"Turning off the speakers is not a solution to the problem here, because when simulating a serial crossover, each speaker in a branch must be turned on."

Your comment above is incorrect. In series crossover, each speaker can be turned ON/OFF to correctly display SPL and Phase of the remaining drivers. When driver is OFF, it does not remove the driver physically from the network, and it's impedance is still correctly contributing to the network topology. Only the SPL/Phase of the driver is prevented from contributing to the overall, system SPL.

Best Regards,
Bohdan
Yes, you're right. I don't know why I had a problem with that before.

But I'm trying to understand why there is such a resistance in you to introduce this little change in the option to turn off the curve history? After all, we are not asking you to remove the curve history from the program, because it is a great help in many cases, but it is not always useful, sometimes it interferes. We want to give users a choice of how they want to work, because each of us has slightly different habits and the way they work.
As users we help to find bugs in SE so that the program can be improved. We give suggestions as to what could be done to make the program more user-friendly, have more options, be more competitive, and encourage new people to buy it. I do not believe that your resistance is related to the difficulty of changing the SoundEasy code, rather it is some kind of internal barrier that you do not want to stubbornly reject for users of your program.

Please consider my/our suggestions, because they are very important. SoundEasy does not lose anything, but gains another tool to improve the design process.

Ps. Polacy to czasami straszne uparciuchy, ale zawsze potrafia sie dogadac ;)

Pozdrawiam serdecznie,
Lukasz
Bohdan

Post by Bohdan »

Hi Lukasz,

I am eternally grateful for users' comments, suggestions, and bug findings. Please keep it coming. At the same time, I have never made a promise to implement all the suggestions. This has been the way I run the business from day one.

SoundEasy contains about 55 main plotting screens and about a dozen of others. From the programming perspective, it's not a "little change".
But this is not a main problem here. My issue with this suggestion, is that after 2 months of coding and de-bugging I will end up with something, that falls into the category of "same thing, but different way", and by no means better than the original. No internal barriers here, my friend :).

It is clear to me, that you "design-by-hand". If you indeed started with optimization, most of your comments would have been irrelevant.
But, I am not here to force you into any particular way of loudspeaker design. As a suggestion only - there are better ways of doing things.

Best Regards,
Bohdan
meloV8

Post by meloV8 »

As long as I use SE, I will look for errors and give suggestions for changes in the program.

I've followed the scheme of how SE assigns colors to curves and have some suggestions on how to reach a consensus. Initially I suggested that it should be possible to assign a fixed, selected color for each curve that is displayed. This may actually require significant interference with the code. To simplify it, you can leave the current way SE assigns selected colors in Preference/Graf color scheme menu and let SE assign colors for the first use of Plot button. Generally it is not important what color will have the curve, but only that this color does not change when you change the value of any element in the crossover scheme. That is, when you enter a new value for any of the crossover elements with your keyboard or mouse, SE would perform Clear and then Plot instead of saving History Curves and automatically assign another set of colors for each graph. This way, each of the graphs would keep its own color set, and changes in the value of the element will cause an auto refresh. I don't think it's going to be difficult to introduce :)
Such an option to enable or disable the automatic curve and color assignment would be brilliant.

As for the use of the Optimizer, to have a well chosen component at the beginning, I would like to mention that I don't really understand why you combine the curve stories with the Optimizer? After all, if the Optimizer would work perfectly every time, then the curve history wouldn't make any sense either, because what more could you improve there? Unfortunately, reality doesn't look so colorful and Optimizer doesn't always work the way we want it to. Add to that the subject of fine-tuning the LCR traps, shaping the frequency band (not only matching is a target curve) and manual corrections are necessary. Just adjusting the values of the elements to the E24/E12 series indicated by Optimizer requires adjustments to the value order, so I ask why and for what purpose should the curve histories still interfere with this?

You are suggesting that there are better methods than manual matching, but I use exactly the same key you write about, because I have no other choice. The Optimizer method is included in every other professional design program (and even amateur and free). The only difference is that in all other programs there is no confusion with the history of curves and Cycle color :)

Lukasz
Bohdan

Post by Bohdan »

OK, I'll look into this.
meloV8

Post by meloV8 »

Thank you very much Bohdan!
Bohdan

Post by Bohdan »

Hi Lukasz,

I have implemented the change in CAD module and System module. Rather than me trying to describe what the result is, I suggest, you may wait for V27 to come out and try yourself. Thanks.

Also, you seemed to have been unclear as to where the Optimizer fits into tweaking process. I have uploaded to my website a short paper highlighting some of the usage of the optimizer function. It's a very simplistic paper, I must admit, but I hope, that I made my point clear.

https://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/Using ... Design.pdf

Best Regards,
Bohdan
meloV8

Post by meloV8 »

Hi Bohdan,

Thank you very much for this new feature, which will be very useful in certain situations.
Thank you also for this tutorial with optimizer. Actually, I use this tool in a very similar way.

Do you have any initial release date for the v27 version?

Greetings and best wishes for New Year 2021!
Lukasz
Chad Gray
Site Admin

Post by Chad Gray »

Yes, thank you for that paper! Bohdan if you have more papers like this please let me know. I can put them on the Wiki for people to read. I already have the manual there.

Chad