Requests for V28

The place to discuss general topics about Soundeasy.
dcibel

Requests for V28

Post by dcibel »

Kicking off.

-correct formatting of exported MLSSA IR txt file. Discussed previously, first 3 lines missing that include sample time and number of samples. ARTA fails to load MLSSA txt files exported by SE as they do not include this data. The file is loaded properly when the txt file is manually edited.
-ability to import FRD txt data to driver off-axis polar plots
-polar data to include full 360 degrees of data
-polar data to provide interpolated data for angles not measured. For example, 0 deg and 10 deg are measured, software to interpolate result for 5 deg increment without measurement.
-inclusion of "spinorama" data calculations that follow CTA-2034-A document, including calculation of system power response defined in this document
-system response optimization by power response with adjustable weight of optimization by power response, on-axis response, listening window, etc.
-measurement system to include inductance value for lead compensation.
-would be nice as well to see a view of off-axis plots in the driver editor view as well.
Bohdan

Re: Requests for V28

Post by Bohdan »

Hi,

Thanks for kicking off the list of suggestions.

1. Exporting MLSSA-style IR.
No problem, it will be done. Currently, the "Export IR" button generates a vector of numbers, as it was not intended to mimic any other IR file.

2. Ability to import FRD txt data to driver off-axis polar plots

You can import SPL measurement from other measurement systems and assign them to Horizontal/Vertical polar plots in V27.
The thing to remember, is that the imported SPL my have different frequency grid than SE screen frequency grid, so it needs to be re-mapped.

A. Go to "Polar Plots" dialogue box and
- Uncheck the "Use System Model" box. This will direct the program to use measured/imported data for polar plots, rather then modelled data.
- Uncheck the "Use HBT data for Polar Plots" box. This will direct the program to use raw SPL data, rather then HBT-generated data.

B. Import your SPL data using a suitable menu selection from "Import/Export Data" menu.
- When the importing dialogue box appears, make sure, you make the right selections for your imported file.
You must be able to see the imported SPL/Phase curve on the screen where it is supposed to be.
- Now, press the "Repair Amplitude" on the T/S Edotor box.
This will re-map the imported frequency grid and data onto SE screen frequency grid.

C. Go to Polar Plots dialogue box and assing the newly imported SPL to one of the 180 Horizintal/Vertical angles.
D. Repeat for all other angles.

3. Polar data to include 360deg angles.
Frankly speaking, I am not a big fan of modelling the response at the back of the box. Dipoles are supposed to be symmetrical,

Considering other issues on this list. Please keep contributing - thanks.

Best Regards,
Bohdan
Bohdan

Post by Bohdan »

Continuing.....

4. system response optimization by power response with adjustable weight of optimization by power response, on-axis response, listening window, etc.

I believe this option (or very similar) is already implemented in V27.

Best Regards,
Bohdan
dcibel

Post by dcibel »

On #2 - thank you for the instruction.

On #3 - the request for full 360 degrees of data is not related to dipole speakers, but is a requirement for correct calculation of sound power for all speakers. I'm not sure why SoundEasy calculates sound power as the mic axis horizontal and vertical separately and only at 180 degrees, this doesn't follow the definition of power response that I am familiar with. Power response is a singular chart that is not dependent on the on-axis mic location, as it covers all axis in its definition. I'd attach the ANSI/CTA-2034-A standard for your reference, but PDF attachment doesn't appear to be supported here, but you can download the standard for free here:
https://shop.cta.tech/products/standard ... udspeakers

On #4 - I was not aware that v27 has the ability to optimize by power response. I don't have v27 and didn't see it listed in the new features. At least, it looks like optimization by listening window was available in V26, so we can cross that off the list.

On listening window, the CTA-2034-A definition is for +/- 30 degrees horizontal, and +/- 10 degrees vertical, so that definition of listening window should be a consideration now that vertical data is accepted. Some assumptions should be made that horizontal is = vertical when only horizontal data is available.
dcibel

Post by dcibel »

On #4 - with optimizations available for listening window, on-axis (or mic axis), or power response, the key ingredient would be to provide target slope for each, with optimization weighting, so optimize with weight of 50% listening window target, 50% power response target for example.