SoundEasy Wiki/Forum merge?

The place to discuss general topics about Soundeasy.
dlneubec

SoundEasy Wiki/Forum merge?

Post by dlneubec »

Chad,

First, thanks so much for stepping up and setting this up. It looks like it will be a wonderful addition for the users of SoundEasy.

I would humbly like to suggest that, IMO, it would be ideal if both the Wiki section and the forum section could be folded together into one location. Sort of a one stop SoundEasy shop, you might say. One location for whatever info you want to look for or share on SoundEasy, one password, one link, one "community".

Best Regards and thanks again,

Dan Neubecker
Chad Gray
Site Admin

Re: SoundEasy Wiki/Forum merge?

Post by Chad Gray »

HI Dan,

I feel the same way. I choose the best Wiki software and Best Forum software. The specialize in what they do.

I have not done the research, but I do believe there is a way to make the two pieces of software "single sign on". This way you do not need two logsin/passwords.

I just have not had time so far to research it and find out the best solution.

phpBB and MediaWiki are the names of the software if anyone has experience doing this type of task.

Chad
Chad Gray
Site Admin

Post by Chad Gray »

My brief look at this idea it seems all the "extensions or plugins" developed to do this tend to fall out of support because each peice of software changes at a different rate and does not take those extensions and plugsin into account to keep them functioning.

So what i did find is they both support Oauth and LDAP. These protocols/standards they will both support for many years to come.

LDAP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweig ... s_Protocol

Oauth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth

I am going to see if i can setup an LDAP server on my hosting provider. Or maybe there is a "public" free LDAP service out there that we can use for single sign on for both the BB and Wiki.

Chad
dlneubec

Post by dlneubec »

Wish I could offer more help, but I can offer a vote of support. Thanks for continuing to work on this!