Soundeasy and serial crossover

Passive crossovers deserve a section to itself. It is part science and part art.
jandh

Soundeasy and serial crossover

Post by jandh »

Good day all,

I would like to apply a serial crossover for a two or three way system.

As far as I'm able to judge is speaker data from tweeter and mid suitable for the job.

For some reason I cannot manage to merch both drivers in the simulated development from SE. It looks like the polarity from one of the to drivers has be switched. Straight connected drivers show however in the ' Frequency/Time domain ' a deep notch around the crossover frequency.

Has someone any idea what causes this.

Pls find attached some SPL prints.

Thank you.
Jan
Attachments
Tweeter dat
Tweeter dat
Tweeter data.JPG (111.26 KiB) Viewed 163 times
SPL tweeter inverted
SPL tweeter inverted
SPL mid and high.JPG (176.8 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Mid data
Mid data
Mid range data.JPG (113.78 KiB) Viewed 163 times
meloV8

Re: Soundeasy and serial crossover

Post by meloV8 »

Hi Jan

Series crossovers are quite difficult to apply. Proper selection of speakers and time alignment of the acoustic center of the speakers must be used to help achieve good phase alignment.
jandh

Post by jandh »

Thank you. I agree with you but I would say that SE gives all the tools to simulate a crossover and allows to easily adjust on component level.
Looking at the SPL I would say that the drivers are just right for the job.

So that leaves me with the conclusion that the spl has been measured correctly but the phase is not. As you wrote in your comment.

To be honest, also a regular parallel crossover showes me the same bumps that I cannot explain.
meloV8

Post by meloV8 »

If you have saved impulse response ( .res ) files from your measurements, maybe you can post them here and they can be looked at for phase accuracy.
Bohdan

Post by Bohdan »

Hi Jan,

I have responded to your direct email, and corrected some data in the driver files.
I am not sure if you wanted 1-st order crossover, but his is the one in the Project File I send you.

Hopefully, this will help you move forward.

Best Regards,
Bohdan
jandh

Post by jandh »

Hi bohdan,

Yes it certainly helped me forward.

But what was wrong with the originally data. I pay lots of attention to the measurement process. But for some reasons it remains to be hard to get consistent results.

Has some some golden rules or standard procedure?

Thanks,

Jan