My Hardware Setup

Lets talk about what works and does not work for Soundeasy. Please reference the Wiki for long term documentation on hardware.

https://soundeasy.chadgray.info/wiki/in ... _Soundeasy
Chad Gray
Site Admin

My Hardware Setup

Post by Chad Gray »

https://soundeasy.chadgray.info/wiki/in ... _Soundeasy

I made a quick video of my Soundeasy hardware setup that i use for Speaker building.
meloV8

Re: My Hardware Setup

Post by meloV8 »

Currently I use ARTA and SoundEasy for measurements, but before I bought SE, I used only ARTA, and sometimes REW. For the ARTA I built the ARTA Jig, which works with SE without problems, but it is necessary to change the signal cables.
The sound card I use is M Audio Transit USB or Realtek card integrated into my computer's motherboard. Realtek allows for measurements at 192kHz, which is sometimes very useful. There is also M Audio Delta 1010LT in the computer, but this card is used only for Digital Filter, I do not use it for measurements. The measuring microphone is the Behringer B5 with individual calibration and the Monacor MPA-102 preamplifier.
dcibel

Post by dcibel »

In my true jig fashion - here's a board screwed to another board. I've been using this for far too long for all of my speaker measurement needs. It's one of those things where I said I'd just assemble it willy nilly and make sure it all works properly first then build it nice, but the problem is once it was built and functional I lost the motivation to build it nice and just kept using it as-is.

One switch selects SPL or impedance, SPL simply shorts out the resistor. The other switch selects between CAL and measure for impedance measurement to select which side of the resistor to connect the reference channel.

It has a rotary switch to select a few different attentuator steps, but don't really need that anymore once I started using a USB audio interface with adjustable input gain on each channel. Also I lost the knob for the rotary switch anyway.
Attachments
20201222_200155.jpg
20201222_200155.jpg (562.35 KiB) Viewed 868 times
20201222_200138.jpg
20201222_200138.jpg (467.98 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Chad Gray
Site Admin

Post by Chad Gray »

I have a few of those projects where I rough it out planning on making it pretty after I get it functioning, then never do the pretty part. Functioning is good enough sometimes. :)
dcibel

Post by dcibel »

Functions perfectly, maybe over xmas break I'll get motivated to build it nice in a little box or something...probably not though ;)
dcibel

Post by dcibel »

Today I was motivated to rebuild my jig in a nice box. I've had these parts lying around for ages. Box is a lot bigger than it needs to be considering what's inside, but it does the task.

Amp input is around back. Cheap locking 1/4" TRS jacks and I've decided to ditch the calibration switch, rather simply disconnect the load to calibrate.
Attachments
20210119_210754.jpg
20210119_210754.jpg (700.02 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Chad Gray
Site Admin

Post by Chad Gray »

Nice and clean! Very portable.

OK check that off of your To-Do list... what is next? :)
Jacq.

Post by Jacq. »

Here is a pick of my imp. and tweeter jig with connector probes;
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 715 times
ribbon_guy

Post by ribbon_guy »

Here's my jig. I put a pot in so I could adjust the level of attenuation between the speaker level and reference and input probe. There's an internal resistor for impedance measurements and I just remove the clip lead to measure impedance.

I'd been using a Cakewalk UA-1G USB audio interface for measurements which worked Ok. I could never get high levels before the input clipping lights would come on. I build my own PC's and recently upgraded some machines with MSI B450 chipset based AMD boards and the integrated audio works just fine with SE and UE. I can get flat loopback tests at 96K.

Ron
Attachments
SE-Jig.jpg
SE-Jig.jpg (454.95 KiB) Viewed 611 times